Friday, September 23, 2011

Let's Get Started!

Hi there. I've started this blog as a result of a challenge I received to feed a single person for $30 a week. I'm going to pump it up, though, and increase the budget to $60 (or less) to feed a family of three or four for a week; breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will include shopping lists, recipes and helpful hints for stretching the meal dollar until it squeals. Where possible, I'll include links to manufacturers' and store coupons to stretch your food dollar even more. I'm going to be using this budget for my family, so I'm not just blowing smoke. This will work, and I'm going to prove it.

Join me this Saturday, September 24th when I'll post a shopping list for the week. Each day, I will post a menu and recipes for the following day. Anything that can be done ahead, such as chopping, cleaning, cooking, etc. will be listed so you can do those things on Sunday to shorten time in the kitchen for the rest of the week. Then the next Saturday, I'll post the next week's shopping list, and we'll go from there.

It's going to be tough, it's going to have to be creative, and I'd love your input, recipes, or any advice you can give to readers that will help everyone trying to stay within a tight budget live a little better. We're all in this together, and we can help each other save money and spend more time with our families.  Let's throw out the McMeals and get down to business.

Thank you for reading. I hope you come back often.

Kim

5 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! I read the article on CNN as well and was intrigued. I only have to feed myself and my son (11). I challenged myself to this past weekend and didn't do too bad. I worked with what I currently had on had and supplemented where necessary. I managed to get out of the grocery for $50 which includes fresh veggies/fruits, TP (ouch!) and 2 gallons of milk for my friend. It's been fun and interesting to watch this come together! Not to mention it has been a learning experience for my son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're finding it useful. It's also been a learning experience for me, figuring out what we do and don't really need for the week. What we can really do without.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our family of 5 spends 250 to 300 dollars a month at the grocery store, which includes all the food for the 5 of us, toiletries, diapers etc. maybe 1 or 2 prepacked frozen meals, the rest I make from scratch. It blew me away to find that the average American family of four spends 600 dollars or more each month on groceries. Our strategy, meal planning, I take my hubby who is the math guy hes really good at getting the best deal and, shop by price per ounce or in toilet paper, price per square foot. etc. Shop at bread discount stores. We don't usually buy much junk food,or soda if at all. We also go to grocerydeals.com and compare shop and purchase what we can on sale only. No couponing. Reading Miserly Meals by Jonni McCoy also gave me a ton of recipies for things like baking mix, homemade syrup , pizza and bread crust spag. sauce etc. Thank you for your blog, I love the shopping list you are posting. Gives me more meal Ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you're finding the blog useful. I'll try to branch out a little as I get to know more about this thing called blogging. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MamaBear
    I went to that grocerydeals.com website, and it's just a 1-post blog with no links. Was your website maybe spelled differently, or a dot-something-else?

    ReplyDelete