Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Thursday's Menu

Today's menu is very simple, so no real recipes. Instead, I'm including some links to my favorite recipe websites, cookbooks and kitchen gadget places.

My very favorite thing to cook with is an enameled, cast iron dutch oven. I could have gotten Le Creuset, at two hundred fifty bucks a pop, but that's just not me. I love my Calphalon, don't get me wrong, but spending that much on a single piece of kitchen equipment just is not something I'm wired to do. So, instead, I asked for the Lodge version at $50 for Christmas...and got 2 of them. Label me happy.

Anyway, this pot is one of the best pieces I've ever owned, and I use it all the time. It's so easy to clean it's ridiculous, and it' looks pretty on the stove (mine's island spice red). We're going to use it. We're going to use it a lot. I understand if you don't have one or can't afford one, just wanted to mention it in case you're making your wish list. You can just as easily use a stock pot or chili pot (or casserole dish, should something need to go in the oven.

So, with that thought, here's Thursday:

Thursday's Menu

Breakfast: banana pancakes, syrup, juice or milk
Lunch: egg salad in lettuce cups, sliced tomato
Dinner: baked chicken, carrots, rice

To bake the chicken, I preheat the oven to 375 F, place 3-4 of our wonderful chicken thigh and leg quarters on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, or whatever you like. Bake for about an hour, or until the skin is dark brown and crunchy.
If your family is smaller, like mine, you should have a quarter or so left over, and this can be used in casseroles, chicken salad, soup, whatever. As MS would say, it's a good thing.
I also like to add a tablespoon or two of chicken bullion crystals (or a couple cubes) to the rice while it's cooking for added flavor.

Links for my favorite places and things:
That wonderful dutch oven can be found here:
My other favorite gadget shop:
My current favorite cookbooks:

My current favorite recipe place:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/main.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment