Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sunday's Menu 10-16-11 ...

... and grunt work for the week. I know I've said this before, but doing the grunt work on Sunday, when you may have a little extra time, makes the rest of the week so much easier.

Turkey meatloaf is on the menu for this Sunday. Along with Mashed potatoes and carrots. Everyone has their favorite meatloaf recipe, but I've included mine just in case. I used to use the Lipton's Onion Soup recipe, but this one is fairly easy and has a bit more nutritional value. I'm listing the meatloaf for lunch (a late breakfast and late lunch is our usual Sunday thing), and then we pick at the leftovers at dinnertime.

Sunday

Breakfast: French toast, syrup, fruit
Lunch: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, carrots
Dinner: leftovers and a salad
Dessert: Mixed berries with yogurt


Turkey Meatloaf

2 lb ground turkey
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1/2 bell pepper, finely diced
2/3 C ketchup
2 eggs
3/4 oatmeal
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients (use your hands, they're your best mixers). Shape into a loaf and place in an 5x8 loaf pan that has been coated with cooking spray (it'll help clean-up). Bake 45-60 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reads 160. Remove from oven. Top with an additional squirt of ketchup, place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes before cutting.

This is easy to change up. Sometimes I decrease the ketchup to 1/2 C and add a can of diced Italian style tomatoes, drained. I always keep a jar of freeze dried onions (not the French's fried onions, but actual dehydrated ones) in case I don't have any fresh ones. You can add about 1/4 cup of these instead. I've also added Rotel tomatoes or a can of diced green chiles. I love meatloaf because it's so versatile.

No comments:

Post a Comment